Saturday, September 11, 2010

Post 9: Intro

The next story is from Billie. I am honored to be posting this story as a part of this blogathon and so happy she agreed to do it. Billie is very dear to me for lots of reasons. While I was working at Starlight, they told us we were getting a new girl who was so dangerous that she would always be on a 1:1. This meant that whoever her assigned staff was couldn’t be more than an arm’s length away at all times: bathroom, shower, sleeping, eating, you name it. Anyway, like most of the staff was probably thinking, I was wondering just how long it would take to restrain this girl for unsafe behavior. I also was secretly hoping I would not be her 1:1. Dangerous kids on a 1:1 can be a huge liability and I needed to keep my job. I ended up as her 1:1, at least for that day and in the future I would end up requesting to be her 1:1. I felt a connection to this girl that I couldn’t explain. She had some serious issues and I felt like I had something in common with her. I was hoping that I could help her in the way that I wished someone could help me. I remember a shy girl who didn’t want to be anywhere near the male staff. I remember how quiet she was and how hard I tried to talk to her. I got minimal, if any, response for a long time. Eventually, and I can’t remember at what point this happened, we started talking. I spent a lot of time with her in her room because Billie liked to isolate and since she was on a 1:1, I had an excuse to hang out. Once I learned Billie’s story, I was amazed. She is so strong and a true warrior. I am so glad to have kept in touch with Billie over the years. I really hope to see her again in person someday. We are miles apart but maybe a road trip is in order! Billie probably doesn’t know it but she has helped me so often, just by being who she is. They say people come into your life for a reason and I believe that. Billie, you are a warrior, an angel and a rock star! I love you!

2 comments:

LadyJtalks said...

out of those moments great people are formed on both sides of the story. great that you are doing this. I think we learn so much about each other through these.

Billie said...

Hey Amy. That was the sweetest things anyone was ever said to me, thank you so so much. I agree with u people do come to your life for a reason am I was blessed for u to come in my life thank you so much and still am bless for you to be here thanks Amy I don't have any words for how happy you made me feel. Am sorry I can't be on right watch you my boyfriend won't stop play he's game and this dud iPad won't let me watch you. You are the sweetest ever!!!!!!!!